atom feed4 messages in com.googlegroups.mapping-howtoRe: Difference between Google Map Mak...
FromSent OnAttachments
Dan DascalescuJan 29, 2010 7:53 pm
JenMazzFeb 3, 2010 10:21 am
JenMazzFeb 4, 2010 10:49 pm
ArmenFeb 8, 2010 6:10 pm
Subject:Re: Difference between Google Map Maker and OpenStreetMap (OSM) and Wikimapia?
From:JenMazz (jenm@google.com)
Date:Feb 3, 2010 10:21:11 am
List:com.googlegroups.mapping-howto

Dear Dan,

Here are some answers to your questions about Google Map Maker :-)

Just as Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, Google Earth/Map/Map Maker's mission is to organize the world's *geographic* information and make it universally accessible and useful.

Millions of people use Google Earth & Google Maps every day. Google is constantly innovating and investing heavily in improvements, tools and resources to make these services more useful and accessible -- for example driving directions, updated satellite imagery, mobile access, Latitude, Street View and multiple public APIs. Most of the people using Google Map Maker are habitual Google Maps users who want to see their neighborhood/region/country represented accurately and completely on Google Maps. Map Maker data is routinely published to Google Maps and made further available via a public API and the recently expanded data download program, which has enabled humanitarian organizations' use of Map Maker data for relief efforts.

We are supportive of others' efforts to enable people to create a rich base map of the world. For instance, Google imagery via our APIs (the same APIs used by many users worldwide) has contributed to OSM's success. We have previously sponsored OSM's efforts and explored with them how to work together. A sticking point in these past discussions has been OSM's share-alike license clause, according to which any data we combine with their data set must be shared back to OSM. Since we routinely combine proprietary 3rd party and user-contributed data sets on Google Maps in order to create the world's richest base map, we cannot share these combined data sets back to OSM.

There are many people who want to improve maps of places they care about -- plenty enough to support the existence of multiple online mapping tools with different functionality and capabilities. We are glad that many people and organizations are working on the important goal of mapping the world.

Cheers,

Jen.