atom feed4 messages in ru.sysoev.nginxRe: Supporting access_log to a pipe?
FromSent OnAttachments
wesleywuJun 17, 2009 8:53 am
Igor SysoevJun 17, 2009 10:27 am
wesleywuJun 17, 2009 12:39 pm
Cliff WellsJun 17, 2009 1:09 pm
Subject:Re: Supporting access_log to a pipe?
From:Igor Sysoev (is@rambler-co.ru)
Date:Jun 17, 2009 10:27:32 am
List:ru.sysoev.nginx

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:53:27AM -0400, wesleywu wrote:

I need to monitor access log in a separated application, to identify frequent
visits like DoS attack.

Now I'm using apache httpd. CustomLog directive of httpd (equivalent to
access_log directive in Ngnix) supports write log lines to the stdin of a piped
application.

Quote from http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html

Syntax: CustomLog file|pipe format|nickname environment-variable] pipe The pipe character "|", followed by the path to a program to receive the log
information on its standard input.

Will Ngnix support this feature? Or is there any solution to monitor every log
line of access_log?

No, nginx will not support logging to a pipe since this is simlpy waste of CPU. You may try tail -F /path/to/log | app This is almost the same waste of CPU as piped log.