atom feed9 messages in com.googlegroups.professional-php[Pro. PHP Dev.] Re: Bind Result query
FromSent OnAttachments
Peter NankivellNov 16, 2008 10:36 pm
Edgar da Silva (Fly2k)Nov 17, 2008 5:22 am
Fahd MurtazaNov 17, 2008 5:28 am
Robert GonzalezNov 17, 2008 8:56 am
Fahd MurtazaNov 17, 2008 8:59 am
Robert GonzalezNov 17, 2008 9:01 am
Fahd MurtazaNov 17, 2008 10:32 am
Peter NankivellNov 17, 2008 3:12 pm
Peter NankivellNov 17, 2008 4:40 pm
Subject:[Pro. PHP Dev.] Re: Bind Result query
From:Peter Nankivell (code@gmail.com)
Date:Nov 17, 2008 3:12:57 pm
List:com.googlegroups.professional-php

My Apologies, I should have given some more information. MySQL5 database and using mysqli in PHP5 to do what I need.

I am converting a project that used to connect to a Postgres DB which has prepared statements in it. While I'm not overly experienced with Postgres, it seems that PG and MySQL handle prepared statement in a different way. PHP requiring columns to be bound to a $var before being fetched (http://au2.php.net/manual/en/mysqli-stmt.bind- result.php)

That is all very well, but my problem exists in that I do not want to have to explicitly set which columns I want to collected all the time. So while it is easy to organise: "SELECT name FROM table_name" and then to bind "name" to $name before fetching results I need more flexibility with setting fetch results.

A lot of my queries are "SELECT * FROM table_name", but I have to bind ALL the field names that I am collected before I can fetch the result, otherwise I get a "Number of bind variables doesn't match number of fields in prepared statement." error. What I would like to do is use that query in a prepared statement and be able to get all the fields without having to specify all the column names in bind_result before fetching.

Any help would be very, very much appreciated. Thanks