|Jean T. Anderson||Dec 16, 2005 5:17 pm|
|Noel J. Bergman||Dec 16, 2005 6:06 pm|
|Roy T. Fielding||Dec 16, 2005 6:08 pm|
|Jean T. Anderson||Dec 16, 2005 6:28 pm|
|Noel J. Bergman||Dec 16, 2005 7:16 pm|
|Roy T. Fielding||Dec 16, 2005 7:22 pm|
|Noel J. Bergman||Dec 16, 2005 7:38 pm|
|Martin Cooper||Dec 16, 2005 8:02 pm|
|Henri Yandell||Dec 16, 2005 9:26 pm|
|Antonio Gallardo||Dec 16, 2005 9:37 pm|
|Mark Thomas||Dec 17, 2005 2:33 am|
|robert burrell donkin||Dec 17, 2005 7:00 am|
|Stefano Mazzocchi||Dec 17, 2005 7:09 am|
|Noel J. Bergman||Dec 17, 2005 8:25 am|
|Jean T. Anderson||Dec 17, 2005 9:07 am|
|Mark Thomas||Dec 17, 2005 9:07 am|
|Jean T. Anderson||Dec 17, 2005 9:13 am|
|Thorsten Scherler||Dec 17, 2005 9:49 am|
|Mark Thomas||Dec 18, 2005 11:39 am|
|robert burrell donkin||Dec 18, 2005 12:25 pm|
|Sylvain Wallez||Dec 20, 2005 3:50 am|
|Jean T. Anderson||Dec 20, 2005 8:33 am|
|Ted Husted||Jan 1, 2006 4:54 am|
|Davanum Srinivas||Jan 3, 2006 6:16 am|
|Will Glass-Husain||Jan 3, 2006 4:05 pm|
|Ted Husted||Jan 4, 2006 7:35 am|
|robert burrell donkin||Jan 5, 2006 1:10 pm|
|Ted Husted||Jan 5, 2006 4:08 pm|
|robert burrell donkin||Jan 9, 2006 2:12 pm|
|Subject:||At what point do you unsubscribe/deny a misbehaving user?|
|From:||Jean T. Anderson (jt...@bristowhill.com)|
|Date:||Dec 16, 2005 5:17:24 pm|
derb...@db.apache.org has been grappling with someone who delights in
belittling other posters on the list. The topic was raised on women@
(see the thread starting with
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200511.mbox/%3c4371355F.email@example.com%3e ), but I think it's more appropriate for this list.
We followed Karl Fogel's excellent advice at http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/setting-tone.html#prevent-rudeness and still have seen problems. I have little faith at this point that we'll be able to really nip this in the bud because the poster clearly enjoys the behavior he's exhibiting.
We're for the most part ignoring jabs, but if he does another personal attack on someone, I'd like to deny his ability to post for the following reasons:
1) I have already heard from users who said they're reluctant to post because they're afraid they'll be the object of his witty retorts.
2) I think the bar should be higher for a user list than a developer list. Not that personal attacks should be condoned on derby-dev@db either, but I think developers are more likely to see that behavior for what it is, roll their eyes, and shrug it off. Users are more likely to silently disappear without our even knowing.
My questions for this list are:
1) Am I being too protective of the user community?
2) Have any other projects found a need to deny the ability for somebody to post? I know the commands are listed at http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail-moderate , but how much do they actually get used?
3) Is there any concern that a denied poster would turn around and flame the ASF?