atom feed12 messages in org.apache.tomcat.usersLog4J in Tomcat 5.0...I don't believe...
FromSent OnAttachments
Patrick BurlesonSep 5, 2004 8:04 am
ebe-...@get2net.dkSep 5, 2004 11:12 am
Pedro NevadoSep 5, 2004 12:00 pm
Jacob KjomeSep 5, 2004 2:54 pm
Patrick BurlesonSep 5, 2004 10:30 pm
Pedro NevadoSep 6, 2004 3:32 am
Shapira, YoavSep 7, 2004 6:20 am
Patrick BurlesonSep 7, 2004 7:30 am
Shapira, YoavSep 7, 2004 7:42 am
GeoffSep 7, 2004 10:02 am
Patrick BurlesonSep 7, 2004 12:10 pm
Shapira, YoavSep 7, 2004 12:22 pm
Subject:Log4J in Tomcat 5.0...I don't believe the FAQ
From:Patrick Burleson (pbur@gmail.com)
Date:Sep 5, 2004 8:04:59 am
List:org.apache.tomcat.users

So I'm trying to get Tomcat 5.0 to use Log4J for its log output formatted to my liking. Started searching and found a link to this message in the Tomcat FAQ that says it has the solution.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=108330970225012&w=2

Well, after performing what seem like simple steps (probably the steps I would have done anyway), still no logging through Log4J.

Did I miss some magically step number 4 or even step 0? I copied log4j-1.2.8.jar to <CATALINA>/commons/lib and put the example log4j.properties in <CATALINA>/commons/classes at DEBUG level and still only got the original format with only INFO level stuff printing out.

I tried with the following versions of Tomcat on Windows XP with JDK 1.4.2_05 and JDK 5.0-RC:

5.0.27 Windows Installer 5.0.27 Zip file 5.0.19 Windows Installer 5.0.19 Zip File

I tried the last two since they were the version mention in the mail message. I tried the zips thinking maybe there was something "different" about the windows installers.

Later in that thread it is mentioned by Jacob Kjome in message http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=108333554729166&w=2 :

" I've pointed out almost these exact instructions many times before and people keep asking or say it doesn't work (it does)."

I just don't believe it. There has to be something I missed...but that's hard to do when there's only 3 steps, one of them being "Download Log4J".

Any ideas?

Thanks, Patrick