atom feed10 messages in net.launchpad.lists.openstackRe: [Openstack] Performance metrics
FromSent OnAttachments
Neelakantam GaddamJun 20, 2012 5:56 am
Dan WendlandtJun 20, 2012 6:25 am
Sandy WalshJun 20, 2012 6:54 am
Rick JonesJun 20, 2012 9:36 am
Huang ZhitengJun 20, 2012 8:09 pm
Rick JonesJun 21, 2012 9:16 am
Narayan DesaiJun 21, 2012 12:41 pm
Rick JonesJun 21, 2012 2:21 pm
Narayan DesaiJun 21, 2012 7:06 pm
Rick JonesJun 29, 2012 2:35 pm
Subject:Re: [Openstack] Performance metrics
From:Narayan Desai (nara@gmail.com)
Date:Jun 21, 2012 7:06:09 pm
List:net.launchpad.lists.openstack

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Rick Jones <rick@hp.com> wrote:

TSO and GRO can cover a multitude of path-length sins :)

Along with a 64 MB TCP window ;)

That is one of the reasons netperf does more than just bulk transfer :)  When I was/am measuring "scaling" of an SMP node I would use aggregate, burst-mode, single-byte netperf TCP_RR tests to maximize the packets per second while minimizing the actual bandwidth consumed.

Yeah, for a completely random workload pps is the limiting factor. We're lucky in that our primary high bandwidth use case is wide area data transfer where we can fill our jumbo packets. (kudos to the nova folks on that count; we were completely able to configure jumbo frames without having to hack anything up)

We were actually more thrilled to be able to build relatively fat single streams, due to our workload. -nld