atom feed4 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.courier-usersRe: [courier-users] Slow Copies with ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Alexander M ThompsonJun 9, 2009 1:51 pm
Gordon MessmerJun 10, 2009 12:44 pm
Alexander M ThompsonJun 11, 2009 10:44 am
Gordon MessmerJun 11, 2009 11:13 am
Subject:Re: [courier-users] Slow Copies with Courier-Imap
From:Gordon Messmer (yiny@eburg.com)
Date:Jun 11, 2009 11:13:05 am
List:net.sourceforge.lists.courier-users

On 06/11/2009 10:44 AM, Alexander M Thompson wrote:

I'd checked all that previously, the connection completes successfully and starts issuing imap commands before pausing. I've gone so far as to truss the imapd process on a test server while one of the people experiencing the problem used it. What I found is disheartening to say the least: ... For whatever reason, courier is enumerating every single file in .Sent/cur and doing *something*, an operation that takes about 41 seconds in this case.

If you have enough messages in your Sent folder that it takes 41 seconds to read the directory entries, obviously you need to archive your mail.

Courier's SQWebmail does a fairly reasonable job of that, creating subdirectories of Sent that represent time periods and moving messages to the appropriate directory. I do mostly the same thing myself (manually). Your users will need to do the same thing, too. Try to avoid more than 10k messages per folder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Crystal Reports - New Free Runtime and 30 Day Trial Check out the new simplified licensing option that enables unlimited royalty-free distribution of the report engine for externally facing server and web deployment. http://p.sf.net/sfu/businessobjects