atom feed3 messages in com.redhat.nahant-beta-listRe: getting tty data from console
FromSent OnAttachments
Jeff LaneOct 27, 2004 6:11 am
Brian LongOct 27, 2004 8:15 am
Jeff LaneOct 27, 2004 10:04 am
Subject:Re: getting tty data from console
From:Jeff Lane (sund@gmail.com)
Date:Oct 27, 2004 10:04:56 am
List:com.redhat.nahant-beta-list

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:15:07 -0400, Brian Long <bril@cisco.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:11, Jeff Lane wrote:

Is there any way to get the data from the various consoles off a machine via the installer??

I believe every message sent to the 4th console is also logged to /tmp. You could copy the file from /tmp to another host for perusal. I'd

Ok... I will check that out. I guess the big thing I was trying to figure out, was how to save all that data... I wasnt sure if it was being logged or not, but there is some sort of mechanism in Anaconda to handle that, as there are occasions when anaconda will generate a dump, and it gives you the option to save the dump to disk, and the dump contains the output from every console, as well as the python traceback and other such stuff...

It would be nice if, as you said, all those various console messages could be logged remotely to a central log server (would be great esp in a datacenter type environment) or even just to save the logs either to disk manually, or be able to export them to a console...

I was hoping I could pass something like console3=ttyS0, or console4=ttyS0 or something along those lines to just pass the info from each console out the serial port one at a time... I have no qualms with doing multiple install attempts to get the data I need...

Anyway, thanks for the pointer, I will look into that this afternoon if I get a chance.

Jeff

The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no rights, no police, no courts. Don't talk about fairness or innocence, and don't talk about what should be done. Instead, talk about what is being done and what will be done by the amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet user base." -Paul Vixie