atom feed88 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRe: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
Christian SchneiderNov 4, 2003 3:32 pm.patch
Rasmus LerdorfNov 4, 2003 5:06 pm
Ken TossellNov 4, 2003 5:09 pm
Andi GutmansNov 5, 2003 12:49 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 12:59 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 1:03 am
Kouber SaparevNov 5, 2003 1:47 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 2:06 am
s0niXNov 5, 2003 2:43 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 3:20 am
Mike RobinsonNov 5, 2003 3:26 am
Dirkjan OchtmanNov 5, 2003 3:45 am
Cesare D'AmicoNov 5, 2003 4:02 am
Alexey TrunyovNov 5, 2003 4:34 am
Antony DovgalNov 5, 2003 4:59 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 5:04 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 5:06 am
Magnus MäättäNov 5, 2003 5:07 am
Derick RethansNov 5, 2003 5:18 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 7:34 am
Nicolas ToperNov 5, 2003 7:47 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 7:56 am
Antony DovgalNov 5, 2003 8:03 am
Rasmus LerdorfNov 5, 2003 8:21 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 8:30 am
Andrey HristovNov 5, 2003 8:40 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 8:47 am
Andi GutmansNov 5, 2003 8:47 am
Jani TaskinenNov 5, 2003 8:49 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 8:50 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 8:52 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 8:54 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 8:58 am
Jani TaskinenNov 5, 2003 8:59 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 9:00 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 9:00 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:01 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:05 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 9:07 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 9:09 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:18 am
Romans MalinovskisNov 5, 2003 9:19 am
Andi GutmansNov 5, 2003 9:20 am
StephNov 5, 2003 9:25 am
Andrey HristovNov 5, 2003 9:25 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 9:25 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:30 am
Derick RethansNov 5, 2003 9:33 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 9:36 am
Rasmus LerdorfNov 5, 2003 9:45 am
Edin KadribasicNov 5, 2003 9:45 am
Romans MalinovskisNov 5, 2003 9:48 am
Moriyoshi KoizumiNov 5, 2003 9:50 am
Jani TaskinenNov 5, 2003 9:54 am
Jaap van GanswijkNov 5, 2003 10:06 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:12 am
Cesare D'AmicoNov 5, 2003 10:22 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 10:28 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:30 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:35 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:36 am
Andrei ZmievskiNov 5, 2003 10:39 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:56 am
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 11:02 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 11:10 am
Shane CaraveoNov 5, 2003 11:12 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 12:26 pm
Greg MacLellanNov 5, 2003 12:40 pm
Robert CummingsNov 5, 2003 1:08 pm
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 1:19 pm
Sara GolemonNov 5, 2003 2:40 pm
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 3:00 pm
Wez FurlongNov 5, 2003 4:06 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:07 pm
Ard BiesheuvelNov 5, 2003 5:27 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:50 pm
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 12:03 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 12:58 am
Kouber SaparevNov 6, 2003 1:24 am
Mike RobinsonNov 6, 2003 3:31 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 4:04 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:09 am
Alexey TrunyovNov 6, 2003 4:15 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:27 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 4:30 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 5:28 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 5:46 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 6:32 am
Subject:Re: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
From:Alexey Trunyov (al@forest.akadem.ru)
Date:Nov 5, 2003 4:34:30 am
List:net.php.lists.internals

Andi Gutmans wrote:

Personally I don't like having two ways of doing things. It makes it harder for people to read scripts.

It looks like the one way of doing two separate things. I mean that semanics of two usages of square brackets as operator is inverse depending on whether it is used in unary or binary form.

Being unary, square brackets operator is array constructor. And being applied to left-side variable it becomes a reference to an array element.

These two usages do some sort of inverse stuff.

BTW is [1][0]==1 true with the proposed syntax?

However, I think the proposed syntax is significantly more elegant than today's array() which makes me think twice about the idea and possibly making an exception to the rule. I think it'll improve the look of PHP scripts. Also I think people calling methods using call_user_method([$obj, "method"]); will find it sexier than the array() syntax. I guess I think it'd be interesting to see what other's think. Also, another point to check is if list() can also be converted into [] because having a hybrid wouldn't be too nice.

That was what I think although I am not the one to listened to.

Andi