atom feed6 messages in org.apache.incubator.devicemap-devDynamic probes prototype
FromSent OnAttachments
Bertrand DelacretazMay 31, 2012 8:43 am
Dave OlsenMay 31, 2012 6:39 pm
Bertrand DelacretazJun 1, 2012 8:57 am
Dave OlsenJun 4, 2012 6:03 pm
Bertrand DelacretazJun 5, 2012 9:13 am
Dave OlsenJun 5, 2012 6:32 pm
Subject:Dynamic probes prototype
From:Bertrand Delacretaz (bdel@apache.org)
Date:May 31, 2012 8:43:31 am
List:org.apache.incubator.devicemap-dev

Hi devicemap folks (long time no see ;-)

I've just committed a prototype using a "dynamic probes" technique which detects device features using client-side javascript, and makes that available both on the client and server sides.

This is inspired by http://detector.dmolsen.com/ and https://github.com/yiibu/profile - for now my features detection code is extremely basic, but we can later merge with what was used in the previous logcapture prototype (using modernizr and platform.js), and/or collaborate with those other projects on the javascript features detection code, which is the hard part IMO.

The rest is just fairly simple plumbing, see [1] for a description of the detection scenario (the code is there BTW).

I've uploaded a runnable jar of that prototype [2], to play with it start with java -jar that.jar and open http://localhost:8085.

If the DMAP_p cookie is not present or too old (30 seconds for now, useful for testing), browsing to any page should first redirect to the DMAP_probe.html page, which runs the features detection code (outside of any content pages, so conveniently isolated), sets the cookie and redirects to the originally requested page.

Comments/flames/patches welcome.

-Bertrand

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/trunk/prototypes/probefilter/README.md