atom feed19 messages in com.xensource.lists.xen-usersRe: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is th...
FromSent OnAttachments
Nico Kadel-GarciaFeb 18, 2008 1:05 am
Evan LavelleFeb 18, 2008 2:02 am
Sadique PuthenFeb 18, 2008 4:36 am
Stefan de KoninkFeb 18, 2008 7:49 am
Nico Kadel-GarciaFeb 18, 2008 7:50 am
Nico Kadel-GarciaFeb 18, 2008 7:52 am
Javier GuerraFeb 18, 2008 7:56 am
Stefan de KoninkFeb 18, 2008 7:57 am
Luciano RochaFeb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Nico Kadel-GarciaFeb 18, 2008 8:00 am
Nico Kadel-GarciaFeb 19, 2008 12:38 am
Ndex ServerFeb 22, 2008 11:29 am
Nick CouchmanFeb 22, 2008 11:39 am
Ndex ServerFeb 22, 2008 11:42 am
Nick CouchmanFeb 22, 2008 12:35 pm
Javier GuerraFeb 22, 2008 12:52 pm
Evan LavelleFeb 22, 2008 1:29 pm
Ndex ServerFeb 22, 2008 1:36 pm
Sadique PuthenMar 3, 2008 3:17 am
Subject:Re: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is the conflict by VMware deliberate?
From:Ndex Server (ndex@gmail.com)
Date:Feb 22, 2008 11:42:57 am
List:com.xensource.lists.xen-users

VMware is a fully functional, full featured virtualization engine. It supports hardware and paravirtualization.

You don't run Xen *and* VMware together, that's the equivalent of running Solaris NIS+ inside Linux chroot.

VMware is a *closed* source commercial product which does provide a few open source packages. Xen is an open source project which (under their new Citrix masters) also provides commercial products.

The reason to choose Xen over VMware are the same reason you'd choose Linux over Solaris. Cost, support services and access to the open source.

What you're suggesting is running nested hypervisors, there's NO performance advantage, no security advantage, no virutalization advantage.

What you are trying to do is completely illogical -- the VMware hypervisor and the Xen hypervisor cannot *both* own ring0.

Load a VMware Server instance on a Linux 32 bit host (on EM64T hardware) with VMX enabled then load an EM64T Guest, sent debug = "TRUE" in the guest .vmx configuration file and read the vmware.log output file.

Full virtualization.

Then burn the box and invite everyone to the party.

Cheers, ndex