atom feed6 messages in org.apache.commons.dev[all] Preparing for Maven 3
FromSent OnAttachments
Niall PembertonOct 6, 2010 6:46 pm
sebbOct 7, 2010 4:00 am
Niall PembertonOct 7, 2010 4:29 am
Niall PembertonOct 7, 2010 5:50 am
Dennis LundbergOct 7, 2010 11:09 am
Niall PembertonOct 7, 2010 1:34 pm
Subject:[all] Preparing for Maven 3
From:Niall Pemberton (nial@gmail.com)
Date:Oct 6, 2010 6:46:00 pm
List:org.apache.commons.dev

The vote for Maven 3 is underway - http://markmail.org/message/4itian33hycyt4iz

I have tested the builds for all the components in trunks-proper (using mvn -Prc clean package) and they worked, except for test failures with configuration, email and jci - but I get those using m2 as well.

Theres an issue with the commons-build-plugin which I need to look at and I had a problem with the gpg plugin when doing mvn -Prc install on a component. Probably the biggest issue though is getting the sites working. The <reporting> section is deprecated in m3 and reports need to be configured differently and a new (m3 specific) version of the site plugin used. I've tried this out adding "m3" profiles to branches of commons-parent and chain: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/branches/maven-3-test/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/chain/branches/test-maven3-profile/

The above have a profile which *activates* when m3 is used - as described here: https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-and-site-plugin.html

This profile approach to support both m2 and m3 is one way - but would create a mess of duplicated configuration in all poms. It would be much cleaner and less maintenance if we just adopted m3 and dropped m2 support :)

I guess it will take a while for a consensus on this (if ever) but its something to consider. In the meantime there is stuff we can do to prepare for m3. It would be good to put reporting plugins into the <pluginManagement> section of commons-parent. Quite a few components are on old versions of reporting plugins, so testing and upgrading to the latest would be good. The one I had most problems with was Checkstyle - details in the commit log: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1005273

Niall