atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 6:21 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 7:13 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 7:22 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 7:59 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:22 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:27 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:38 am
William WaitesNov 4, 2010 8:43 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:50 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:53 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 8:55 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:57 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:10 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:13 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:16 am
bill...@planet.nlNov 4, 2010 9:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:22 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:25 am
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 9:33 am
Robin YANGNov 4, 2010 9:51 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:54 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 9:56 am
Mike KellyNov 4, 2010 10:12 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 10:13 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:17 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 10:24 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:36 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 10:51 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:06 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:07 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 11:08 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:18 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:24 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:41 am
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 11:45 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:48 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:58 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:00 pm
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 12:03 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:07 pm
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 12:10 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 12:26 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:36 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 12:56 pm
Hugh GlaserNov 4, 2010 12:59 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 1:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 1:22 pm
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 1:40 pm
Mischa TuffieldNov 4, 2010 2:09 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:09 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:11 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 3:24 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 3:26 pm
Melvin CarvalhoNov 4, 2010 3:48 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:31 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:42 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 5:41 pm
85 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Kingsley Idehen (kide@openlinksw.com)
Date:Nov 4, 2010 9:10:16 am
List:org.w3.public-lod

On 11/4/10 11:21 AM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:

Hi Ian

no its not needed see this discussion http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2007Jul/0086.html pointing to 203 406 or thers..

..but a number of social community mechanisms will activate if you bring this up, ranging from russian style "you're being antipatriotic criticizing the existing status quo " to "..but its so deployed now" and ".. you're distracting the community from other more important issues ", none of this will make sense if analized by proper logical means of course (e.g. by a proper IT manager in a proper company, paid based on actual results).

But the core of the matter really is : who cares. My educated guess looking at Sindice flowing data is that everyday out of 100 new sites on web of data 99.9 simply use RDFa which doesnt have this issue.

choose how to publish yourself but here is another one. If you chose NOT to use RDFa you will miss out on anything which will enhance the user experience based on annotations. As an example see our entry in the semantic web challange [1].

Giovanni

[1] http://www.cs.vu.nl/~pmika/swc/submissions/swc2010_submission_19.pdf

Giovanni,

Could I paraphrase, if you don't mind?

I think you are saying that the following distractions are irrelevant to the fundamental goals of Linked Data:

1. Apache capabilities 2. Apache access 3. Access to other Web Servers 4. RDF formats such as RDF/XML (which most see as being RDF) 5. SPARQL 6. Heuristics for Resolvable Names (303 and friends).

If so, I agree totally!

BTW - RDFa is unfortunately named since it conveys the misconception that its an RDF derivative when it isn't. I say this bearing that the rest of the world (modulo LOD and broader Semantic Web communities) continue to perceive RDF as "owl:sameAs" RDF/XML.

Yes, RDFa lets you drop a descriptor (information resource) anywhere on the Web without breaking the fundamental essence of the Linked Data concept :-)

Kingsley