atom feed72 messages in org.w3.public-webapiRe: ACTION-87: Selectors API
FromSent OnAttachments
23 earlier messages
mozerMar 22, 2006 4:30 am
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 4:37 am
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 5:43 am
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 6:08 am
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 6:45 am
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 11:16 am
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 11:22 am
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 11:25 am
Robin BerjonMar 22, 2006 2:01 pm
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 2:28 pm
Ian HicksonMar 22, 2006 2:48 pm
Ian HicksonMar 22, 2006 2:51 pm
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 3:20 pm
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 6:17 pm
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Anne van KesterenMar 23, 2006 4:28 am
Ian HicksonMar 23, 2006 2:31 pm
Anne van KesterenMar 25, 2006 4:36 am
Ian HicksonMar 27, 2006 3:13 pm
Anne van KesterenApr 3, 2006 5:46 am
Anne van KesterenApr 3, 2006 5:51 am
lioreanMay 12, 2006 8:49 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 13, 2006 4:15 am
lioreanMay 13, 2006 12:08 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 13, 2006 12:26 pm
lioreanMay 13, 2006 2:40 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 14, 2006 7:20 am
lioreanMay 14, 2006 4:22 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 15, 2006 3:15 am
lioreanMay 16, 2006 9:29 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 17, 2006 5:18 am
Lachlan HuntMay 17, 2006 6:19 am
Anne van KesterenMay 17, 2006 6:30 am
Jim LeyMay 17, 2006 6:35 am
Lachlan HuntMay 17, 2006 7:02 am
Robin BerjonMay 17, 2006 7:07 am
Anne van KesterenMay 18, 2006 12:46 am
Jonas SickingMay 30, 2006 3:11 pm
Jonas SickingMay 30, 2006 3:24 pm
Jonas SickingMay 30, 2006 3:42 pm
Ian HicksonMay 30, 2006 3:55 pm
Robin BerjonMay 30, 2006 4:15 pm
Jonas SickingMay 30, 2006 5:56 pm
Anne van KesterenJun 5, 2006 2:46 am
Anne van KesterenJun 5, 2006 2:49 am
Jonas SickingJun 5, 2006 12:31 pm
Charles McCathieNevileJun 5, 2006 5:37 pm
lioreanJun 5, 2006 6:16 pm
Maciej StachowiakJun 5, 2006 10:40 pm
Subject:Re: ACTION-87: Selectors API
From:Anne van Kesteren (ann@opera.com)
Date:May 13, 2006 12:26:54 pm
List:org.w3.public-webapi

On Sat, 13 May 2006 21:08:26 +0200, liorean <lior@gmail.com> wrote:

I do think you're unnecessarily limiting the use of the Selectors API in the current draft by only allowing selector matching on the subtree of the document node though. The same way you might want to use getElementsByTagName not on the document node but on some deeper element node, you might want to do selectors matching on the subtree of a deeper element node instead of on the entire tree.

The Selectors specification doesn't define scoped selectors as noted in "Outstanding Issues." Not sure if this specification should define that for them. This has been noted though.

I'm not really decided about the more general issue: A group of selectors becoming some kind of object instead of a string. I can see it would have some advantages for the simple use cases this draft was written for it's not really needed.

3. Letting StaticNodeList inherit from Array and NodeList not is not an option. They have to be identical. Hopefully DOM Level 3 Core gets errata to say that only some object implementing the NodeList interface is live and not all objects implementing NodeList (well, it currently says something even vaguer if I remember correctly) so we can drop StaticNodeList and just define that the object is static.

Well, does it matter if StaticNodeList in the ECMAScript bindings is defined to have the Array.prototype as it's prototype object instead of the Object.prototype? That doesn't change the interface itself, it's just a question of ECMAScript bindings. The reason one would want this is of course that one might want to use array methods such as Array.prototype.sort, Array.prototype.map or Array.prototype.filter on the returns from the selector match without having to jump through hoops to do so. At least the ECMAScript defined Array.prototype methods are written to be generic and work on any array-like object, I hope the Mozilla JavaScript 1.6 Array extras are written that way too. And StaticNodeList looks to me to be pretty array-like.

Well, if StaticNodeList looks that way NodeList would look that way too and I'd therefore suggest raising that on www-@w3.org instead. Note that I don't really want to be defining StaticNodeList in the first place.