atom feed10 messages in org.isc.lists.dhcp-usersRe: DHCP Relay & Option 82
FromSent OnAttachments
Alan BryantAug 24, 2010 3:29 pm
Bruce HudsonAug 25, 2010 7:47 am
tot...@ajkanet.huAug 25, 2010 7:50 am
tot...@ajkanet.huAug 25, 2010 7:52 am
Simon HobsonAug 25, 2010 8:29 am
Bruce HudsonAug 25, 2010 9:19 am
Alan BryantAug 25, 2010 10:41 am
Simon HobsonAug 25, 2010 12:00 pm
Alan BryantAug 30, 2010 9:46 am
Simon HobsonAug 30, 2010 9:59 am
Subject:Re: DHCP Relay & Option 82
From:Bruce Hudson (Bruc@Dal.Ca)
Date:Aug 25, 2010 9:19:05 am
List:org.isc.lists.dhcp-users

This will work for the example cited. If your network is still flat, you really want a single "shared-subnet" for the entire campus that surrounds all of your subnet stanzas.

But I think what he is actually trying to do is convert FROM a flat network TO a routed network.

Sometimes you just have to guess.

My assumption, largely inferred I admit, was that the network was still flat and that they were trying to reconfigure their IP addresses to facilitate a future split of the the network. That was why they were using option 82 to determine where the breaks will be, making the upcoming split less painful.

I did not explicitly say that that the DHCP configuration will have to change to match the real configuration of the network when the split actually happens. That means, as Simon said, getting rid of any shared networks no longer appropriate. A split network will probably make use of option 82 redundant.