atom feed1 message in edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacomRe: [Taxacom] Systema Dipterorum = cl...
FromSent OnAttachments
Chris ThompsonFeb 16, 2012 7:24 pm
Subject:Re: [Taxacom] Systema Dipterorum = closed
From:Chris Thompson (xela@cox.net)
Date:Feb 16, 2012 7:24:47 pm
List:edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacom

Yes, Jeff,

The Systema Dipterorum is down and will remain so. Apparently a database of fly names, despite the fact that flies represents more than 10% of the World's biodiversity and are a critical component of many human interactions, etc., is irrelevant to the powers to be at the Smithsonian (increase and diffusion of Knowledge, but not about flies!)

The Smithsonian has refused to renew my association* with them and I am now forced to leave. So ...

They, mainly, Jon Coddington (codd@si.edu) and Bob Robbins (robb@si.edu) feel I serve no useful purpose.

So, you should complain to them,

Sincerely,

Chris

from home

*Once, back in 1996, I put up some example species pages online at the Smithsonian and also an example of digitalized literature, from which eventually arose the Encyclopedia of Life (via the All-Species foundation) and the Biodiversity of Heritage Library programs. But today "old dogs" are an embarrassment to current administration.

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Skevington Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:24 PM To: Chris Thompson Subject: Systema Dipterorum

Hi Chris,

What is up with the Nomenclator? We used it all day but now it is down, apparently for good. I have been getting messages asking what is up. The community has come to depend on this.

Jeff

-- Jeff Skevington, Research Scientist Canadian National Collection of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada 960 Carling Avenue, K.W. Neatby Building Ottawa, ON, K1A 0C6, Canada Phone: 613-759-1647 FAX: 613-759-1927 E-mail: jhsk@gmail.com or jeff@agr.gc.ca