atom feed11 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.opennms-discussRe: [opennms-discuss] Debian and SNMP...
FromSent OnAttachments
Berberovic, BorisDec 2, 2008 8:53 am
Pathiakis, PaulDec 2, 2008 11:11 am
Berberovic, BorisDec 3, 2008 3:58 am
Pathiakis, PaulDec 8, 2008 6:04 am
Duncan HillDec 8, 2008 7:44 am
Pathiakis, PaulDec 8, 2008 7:55 am
Pathiakis, PaulDec 8, 2008 8:01 am
Rizzo, ChrisDec 8, 2008 8:23 am
Pathiakis, PaulDec 8, 2008 10:00 am
Pathiakis, PaulDec 8, 2008 10:55 am
Pathiakis, PaulDec 8, 2008 1:51 pm
Subject:Re: [opennms-discuss] Debian and SNMPD diskio.c handle
From:Rizzo, Chris (cri@taltrade.com)
Date:Dec 8, 2008 8:23:04 am
List:net.sourceforge.lists.opennms-discuss

Just as a side note to this....I have Redhat systems doing this, so it looks like it is in the main snmpd codebase. I've had a ticket open with Redhat, and this was their response...

The message that you see here is a result of querying for statistics that are not available on the linux system. Requests 9, 10, and 11 are defined as:

#define DISKIO_LA1 9 #define DISKIO_LA5 10 #define DISKIO_LA15 11

You can disregard these error messages as these stats are not included with Linux

________________________________

From: Pathiakis, Paul [mailto:Paul@ironmountain.com] Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 10:02 AM To: General OpenNMS Discussion Subject: [opennms-discuss] Debian and SNMPD diskio.c handle

Hi,

I have a bunch of Debian machines that are using SNMPD 5.2.3. That looks to be the most recent version of SNMPD for Debian Etch. So, I'm stuck with it for now. However, snmpd is spitting out a bunch of errors that are of the type:

Snmpd[pid]: diskio.c: don't know how to handle 9 request

Snmpd[pid]: diskio.c: don't know how to handle 10 request

Snmpd[pid]: diskio.c: don't know how to handle 11 request

To syslog and as I've now figured out how to get syslog to log to OpenNMS. (Hooray!)

However, I'd like to learn how to ignore this syslog message type. Actually, I'd like to learn all about looking for strings from syslog so that OpenNMS can be my syslog parser as well. I found "syslog" and "syslog automations" page but I'm having a little trouble understanding as I'm new to this and keep getting dragged off to other things just as I get going on ONMS.

I'd like to perform parsing and escalation/non-escalation on a message:

Actionable message:

"Disk has gone bad"

Informative message:

"Disk is running out of space"

Ignorable message:

Snmpd[pid]: diskio.c: don't know how to handle 11 request

I'm sure that as soon as Debian gets the hooks for these values in their SNMP for diskio everything will be fine.

Thank you for any help,

P.

Paul Pathiakis

UNIX/Linux Systems Engineer

Iron Mountain Digital

120 Turnpike Rd.

Southborough, MA 01772

Microsoft - Where do you want to go today?

Linux - Where do you want to go tomorrow?

FreeBSD - Will you guys come on already?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ SF.Net email is Sponsored by MIX09, March 18-20, 2009 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The future of the web can't happen without you. Join us at MIX09 to help pave the way to the Next Web now. Learn more and register at http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;208669438;13503038;i?http://2009.visitmix.com/